[TenTec] Amplifier Question

Wed Jun 26 19:58:58 EDT 2013

The tuner is the last thing in the sequence of equipment before the signals
goes out to the antennas.  I do use a 238 tuner for the coax fed antennas
and a balanced tuner for the balanced fed antennas.  The input of the tuner
has the choke balun to the output of the SWR/Power meter.  Since the coax
feeds to the antennas aren't necessarily at 50 ohms, which is the reason we
use a tuner,  I prefer to have the choke balun in the system where the Z is
always 50 ohms and that would be on the input to the tuner.

I find the Diawa 801-HP to be a very good station instrument.  I did follow
earlier posts and put a wire jumper such that it reads SWR and Peak Hold
power.  The original models didn't read SWR when selected to  read Peak Hold
power.   There's also some mods to change a couple of time constant
parameters but I've not found that necessary.   Additionally I did find
after doing the modification, but likely not related to installing the mods,
a calibration was necessary.  This was easy to do for both AVG power and
Peak power as well as SWR power for all three ranges.  Once calibrated using
a known value dummy load and RF voltmeter, my preferred method for power
measurement, I find that the Diawa CN801-HP has equal to or better accuracy
than my Bird 43P.

I do have additional switching which I didn't describe.  There's two
transceivers plus the antenna analyzer that has to be switched to the input
of the amp along with two different tuners and a dummy load that gets
switched on the output of the amp.  The objective; (a) adjust either of the
tuners using the antenna analyzer such that the input of the tuner is 50
ohms at the desired frequency.  (b) adjust the amp for proper operation
without putting a signal on the air.  That's where the dummy load comes in.
Once (a) and (b) are done, the amp is switched to the tuner and all is ready
to run.  No further tuning needed.

Since everything prior to the output of the tuners will be operating at 50
ohms, I find that RG-8X is most adequate for up to legal limit power to 10M.
It is much easier to physically configure for various stations and the
related configurations.

For the stations I use a 30 amp switching supply with a distribution buss.
It handles three transceivers and other station accessories without any
issues.

My methods aren't the only way to handle multiple stations but my method
works.  I don't encounter any RFI issues, any band, any mode, any frequency
up to legal limit power.

73
Bob, K4TAX