[TenTec] 565 low headphone levels

Roy royanjoy at ncn.net
Tue Mar 12 10:21:31 EDT 2013

About:

"No argument with Barry's suggestion, although I think it would be hard
to find more efficient headphones than 8 ohms."

Efficiency has nothing to due with Z.

The Orion has an effective headphone output Z of about 600 ohms. So with 8
ohm cans, nearly all the audio power is dissipated in the series, matching
resistors. Use 500 ohm range cans or do what I do, use the rear speaker jack
along with a selector switch from an external speaker or headphones. Then
you no longer need to unplug your headphones and wear out the jack.

73,   Roy          K6XK