[TenTec] TEN-TEC SSB NETS ON SUNDAY

Sat Mar 16 22:07:03 EDT 2013

Over the years I enjoyed operating my Collins S Line.  Although sounding
quite good and quite stable frequency wise, the dial markings were every 1
kHz.  Anything in between is a pure guess.  Your Drake TR4C will do a fine
job

With one of my high tech radios when the band is quite and there's little
activity, very often I'll start a QSO at some odd ball number say 7.263.255.
It is amazing how many stations won't tune to the oddball number but
actually end up on 7.263.000 or 7.263.500 and then comment that I'm off
frequency.  The frequency that I'm on is the frequency I'm on and it is they
that are "off frequency".

We need to improve our "tuning skills" by using our ears and quit tuning by
the numbers.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message -----
From: "R. Eric Sluder" <resluder at yahoo.com>
To: <tentec at contesting.com>; <tvman1954 at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TEN-TEC SSB NETS ON SUNDAY

I took an eight year hiatus from HF operating. When I started back this year
after Santa brought me an Eagle... I noticed a lot of QSO's are right on a
particular frequency ending with lots of zeros, or 5 Khz in between even
frequencies. Example... 7260.000, 7265.000 & 7270.000

I attribute it to crystal ovens, and TXCO's as standard features now.
However, I'm looking forward to putting my old TR4C on the air to see what
comments I'll get.

I want to get an Omni C soon, and since it only has one digit past the
decimal I'm bound to get comments that I'm "234 Hz" off frequency or
something crazy that.

I'm starting to miss the earlier days of my Amateur career. Strike that... I
don't want to give my Eagle up. hi

73,
Eric
W9WLW