[TenTec] Jupiter Broken

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Mon May 13 03:09:46 EDT 2013

OK... after cleaning the cabinet and re-seating all the pins and cables
inside the rig just for good measure, the Jupiter I purchased has two
problems.

1)   There is no transmit signal out.  Mode is CW, activating the
transmitter with a straight key.

The Jupter's own power meter claims output power of 112 w  when set to
100 w, and it claims 62 watts out, with a of 70 w.   I am working into a
Palstar SL2K dummy load and testing with three power meters:   the one
on the DL2K,  a Daiwa CN101L, and a Ten Tec 1225 meter, and all three
show no power out at all - A couple of times the meters showed an
initial power spike when I first closed the key, - and failed completely
thereafter.

Master resets were no help.

2)   I tried updating the ver 1.15 firmware to ver 1.33 firmware with
the updater applet found on TT's web site.  The update program claims it
was successful, but the rig fails to start.  A master reset reports a
check sum error and says to re-flash the chip.

	So... it appears I purchased a parts rig, or is
	there something I can do before packing it up to
	TT HQ for repair or proper burial.

Thanks.