[TenTec] TT Eagle mic equalization

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Fri Oct 11 15:45:27 EDT 2013

I would follow Bob's procedure, and do it for each microphone you have,
especially using the mic you use on the other rig that pleases you.

Also, I like to make recordings with each of my microphones on a
computer sound recorder application.  I play with each microphone at
different distances from the mouth, and at different input volumes, to
get a better idea of how each mic works (in general) and I find that
sometimes I need to treat different microphones differently - some like
to close talked - others not as close - and still others...  OK you get
the drift.  Each microphone seems to have its own sweet spot of
distance, speaking volume, speaking angle (whether straight on axis or
slightly off axis), etc.   Each mic will have its own point at which it
over modulates - even at at regular speaking volume - and gets a tad
distorted.  Each will have a different range for proximity effect (i.e.,
it gets more bass as you get closer, and gets more thin and treble as
you get farther away), and I like to know about each mic before I hook
it to the radio.

That is how I learn each microphone's general characteristics, and then
I try to apply that insight as I use the microphone on the rig - i.e.,
some like it close, some farther, and all with more or less mic input
gain.

In this way, you may get better results with different settings.  Again,
nothing here contradicts Bob's procedure.   Bob is a true audio
professional, while I am an advanced hobbyist - having been a field
tester and review commenter for microphones for the speech recognition
field.  You learn a lot just playing with several hundred different
types of microphone over a span of 15 years !

ALSO - I observe that each radio has a slightly different output sound
when working with the MON-itor function.   The Omni VII is very clear,
the Jupiter is just OK, and my Orion II is muddy and quiet - and the
sound on the front headphone jack differs from the sound on the rear
speaker jack, and both are different yet from the sound on the LINE-OUT
jack.  Go figure...  So it may be more clear than you know, because the
audio chain is different on each rig, and even different on different
places on the rig.

Thus it may be better than you think.

Just MY take.