[TenTec] Omni C + new Ham = Oops.

Paul Harker paul.r.harker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 12:49:43 EDT 2013

Mike et al,

Where I stand/sit/hop right now:

I suffer from TMHS. For those of you unaware of the affliction, it stands
for Too Many Hobbies Syndrome. As such I have to spread my resources among
bicycling, woodworking, electronics (now improved to include Ham Radio as
of June), photography, guitar (both electric and acoustic), blues
harmonica, chess, computers, and a homemade CNC router, which is a melding
of computers, electronics, and woodworking. Oh, and in my spare time I like
to read and study German. For this reason I like to be in the "Most bang
for the buck" category rather than the "Top of the Line, with bells,
whistles and optional handlebar streamers" category.

So though I won't draw a line on the ground, at this point I believe the
Omni is where I'm gonna stay. I plan to get a matched transisor pair -- no
question. Also, I am STRONGLY leaning toward the 454s because in the long
run the extra price is a drop in the bucket ---AND--- though I will take
all possible precautions to avoid my transistor toasting behaviors in the
future, the 454s have just a little bit more "oops" tolerance in the power
dissipation category. And I don't want to have to replace these transistors
again.

Which brings me to where do I buy them. I agree that the "custom made and
matched"  from TenTec is likely just marketing. However, I do put a certain
premium on supporting a company that seems to go the extra mile. The
question I'm fighting with is whether that is worth $30.

Paul