[TenTec] OT: TS-990S review in absentia

John Rippey w3uls73 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 10:52:27 EDT 2013

A review of the Kenwood TS-990S has yet to appear in the pages of QST.
With the November issue out, the earliest it can appear now is the
December issue, a seemingly long wait from its date of introduction in
March (?) of this year. (The review of the new Argonaut came and went
in less time.)

Pure speculation, but I wonder what is holding up the review? It's a
complex rig. Is it possible there's been an extended back-and-forth
with the manufacturer over issues uncovered by the lab? We'll never
know, of course. Rob Sherwood uncovered some anomalies, such as the
main receiver's variable IMD3 performance on some bands (30 meters
being the best, 20 meters not so good). And, given the way ARRL
reports its findings, I don't know how/whether they can/will segregate
the IMD3 data by band.

Just musing.

73,

John, W3ULS