[TenTec] Corsair

Lee WA3FIY wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Sat Sep 21 11:30:14 EDT 2013

Just some thoughts on this.

The Corsair shapes the CW keying envelope at low level.  As long as the transmit path is
linear (and it normally is) the shape is preserved to the output.  Nice clean transmit signal.
Reducing the final bias puts the final into a nonlinear mode resulting in distortion of the
keying envelope and most likely key clicks.

I don't see any value in the suggestion of turning the final on with a toggle switch.  The keying
circuitry within the Corsair does that automatically with proper timing,  resulting in the final
drawing bias current only when transmitting.  Key up.....no current in the final as Rick, DJ0IP
pointed out earlier.

It seems to me the cleanest and very effective way to reduce current would be to turn the
digital display and pilot lamps off when not needed.  Interrupting the DC supply line to the
display and lamps should do the trick but I do not know that for sure.  Once the outer ring of
the tuning dial is calibrated to the digital dial, it is adequate for general tuning around.   I
suspect this will save more current than reducing the final bias since the current is reduced in
both transmit and receive modes instead of transmit only.

My thoughts.   :-)

BTW   Anyone looking for a power efficient 100 watt rig, check out the Triton (non digital)
You  will be amazed how little power that thing uses on receive.  Switch off the panel lights
and it goes even lower!

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY