[TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Apr 5 02:16:10 EDT 2014

Tom,

I was interested in the Sienna at the time I bought my K3 but couldn't find any information on it.
I don't hold much for the BS written in eham.  Most of the guys who post there wouldn't know a radio if they saw one.
I'm looking for real experience, not "opinions" from people like me who never heard one on the air, never saw one, etc.

If you find anything, please let us know here.

If you are not an advanced contester or trying to get to the top of the DX honor roll, then the OMNI VII is probably the better choice.  It's a little larger and much easier to use.  The software menus on the K3 drove me crazy.  I always knew the guys in California were different, but why can't they speak English?
Ten-Tec does (well at least within their menus).  In the plant they speak "southern". ;-)

On the other hand, if you are an advanced DXer or die-hard contester, then the advantage goes to the K3.  At the end of the day it's a darn good radio and there is good reason that it is the radio of choice for most DX-peditions.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of kf5wbs at yahoo.com
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2014 12:32 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

Bill,

I know this is a tough question and maybe not a fair one to ask.  If you had to choose between the K3 and the Omni VII, could you make a choice?  I am returning to ham radio after a long absence, looking for a new rig, and very interested in the impressions that users of both have.  The two above seem to be on the top of the list.

Also on the list is the Sienna.  Interesting rig but relatively unknown.

Thanks so much,

Tom

KF5WBS

tombrantoncpa at gmail.com