[TenTec] Paragon II LSB/USB audio differences.

Mark Kenward k8vf_mark at centurytel.net
Sun Apr 6 08:58:20 EDT 2014

Thanks, Ken.

Yes, my first  job was to set the bfo's correctly, at least LSB, USB and CW
transmit...got them within one Hertz.  I had to mal adjust the FSK bfo's in
order to get the other 3 on freq...(neither I nor the friend uses FSK, bust
uses AFSK, so no worries there. But if I adjusted whichever is first in the
manual, FSK low, I think, it was impossible to set the CW transmit offset,
it would be 985 Hz, or some such.
I chose to set LSB/USB and cw transmit since FSK was not being used.

I set the reference oscillator, and adjusted the passband tuning
frequencies.

Also set carrier balance.

I tried adjusting the LSB BFO a bit, but as soon as you do that, you are off
frequency according to the dial frequency.

I even tried replacing the 9mHz 2.4 filter, to no avail, same situation.

I thought of going to WWV on 10 MHz, and setting sideband frequencies the
same, by using a soundcard scope to show and set according to the 500 and
other WWV transmitted frequencies.  But when I did this, you couldn't switch
from one sideband to the other and be on frequency..might be 1/2 kHz  apart,
and although they both sounded the same, the dial readout was wrong.(and
adjusting reference oscillator would just make it off on the other bands.

As I had posted earlier, I am within 50 Hz from 160 to 10 meters carrier
wise, and cw transmit is right on across the bands, dead center in my cw
filters on my omni 6 PLUS rigs, so it seems isolated to LSB BFO circuit.
(I was actually hoping there was an adjustment to center the sidebands in
the balanced modulator loop, and freely admit I am not an expert at this,
but I dont twirl slugs or caps just to "see" what will happen, ha ha ha)  So
apparently, I have an aged component in LSB BFO circuit.

Again, USB sounds great, good frequency response. LSB is clean, on
frequency, but just narrow, maybe 2.1 kHz.....I have been using it, but I
traded it to a buddy, (with full disclosure, of course), and he is happy
with it. But I just wanted to make it perfect for the guy. he deserves it.

My other thought was to put in a 2.8kHz filter...this  might solve the
problem, though in a back door way.

Thanks to all for advice.

K8VF