[TenTec] Orion 2 and ANC 4 Noise Canceller

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Apr 7 03:23:44 EDT 2014

I have done this mod to every radio I have owned in the past 20 years.
I originally did it for using with a preselector but I have also used it
with the ANC-4 and other noise cancellers.
It is also an optional factory mod for the Eagle (and I sometimes use the
ANC-4 with it).

On the OMNI VI, it involved drilling another hole (maybe two, I can't
remember) in the back panel.
As I bored thru the back panel the first time, the drill bit went into an
RF-Choke.  :-(
This was just one week before a planed contest Expedition to 4U1VIC.
Ten-Tec got a replacement choke to me (Munich Germany) within 4 days.
The expedition was a success.

The work to implement this is very simple but BE CAREFUL WHEN BORING HOLES
THROUGH THE BACK PANEL!

Fundamentally you just have to locate the T/R relay within the Orion and
trace the RG-174 for it to the RX stage.  Disconnect it from the RX stage
and run it to the back panel.  Then run an additional piece of RG-174 from
the second jack on the back panel, to the input of the RX stage.  OR
disconnect it from the relay and run the new cable from the back panel to
the relay.  Whichever way you are more comfortable with.

I wrote up a detailed step by step mod for doing this for an Elecraft K2.
It's on my web site.
You can study this to see what the procedure is.  It's basically the same
work for doing it to any other radio.
See:  http://www.dj0ip.de/downloads/
(It's the first download on that page).

73 - Rick, DJ0IP