[TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Apr 7 12:20:21 EDT 2014

James is ABSOLUTELY right!
That's the best way to do it.

I also have a CardBus to RS-232 adapter for use with laptops.
Solves the problem for laptops.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of K8JHR
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 6:10 PM
To: Kimberly Elmore; Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

On 4/7/2014 11:06 AM, Kimberly Elmore wrote:
   that's what people use: a USB-to-RS232 adapter since no one puts
RS232 ports on either desktop motherboards of laptops anymore.

NOT SO, DICK TRACY !   There IS a way.

I use a 4-port serial port PCIe I/O add-on card that gave my new
computer 4 old fashioned serial ports.   NO USB-SERIAL ADAPTERs in my
shack.  These look and act and feel just like regular built-in serial ports,
so no finicky oddball drivers.  No issue with potentially bogus bootleg
Prolific brand chips.

Cost - $20

Problem solved.  There is no reason to pay more for a USB-to-Serial adapter
cable and suffer its little idiosyncrasies.