[TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

K8JHR jrichards at k8jhr.com
Mon Apr 7 13:26:38 EDT 2014

On 4/7/2014 8:19 AM, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:

> Then the people behind the middle ware app control which radios will be considered for use by the contest community, and by extension, the bulk of the active Amateur Radio community.

		Not at all.   They will simply use a different
		contest log program.  This whole deal is blown
		out of proportion - if it was a big problem, we
		would have heard about it long ago, and there
		would be someone working on a solution.

		I suspect most contest groups are not as large
		and not as regimented or standardized as
		the one Rick speaks of, so they can be more
		flexible and accept more options.

		I agree most hams are like you - they buy the
		rig for its capabilities, style, ergonomics,
		etc... and let the software fall where it does.

		Not all software supports all radios with equal
		vigor.  I see no no reason to worry about support
		for TT gear.   Guys in EU don't buy TT rigs for
		other reasons, anyway, such as the fact the JA
		rigs cost less vis-a-vis TT rigs, owing to
		customs duties and other costs.  If TT were a
		large outfit and embedded into the EU economy
		as, say, Kenwood is, it would have easier sailing.

		I do not accept the proposition EU operators are
		avoiding TT gear because Omni Rig does not support
		it.

That is just MY take, of course.   I think this whole deal is overblown
and applicable to limited circumstances.  If this was a real issue, we
would have heard about it long ago.  Just use N1MM or use N4PY and any
number of other logging programs, such as the popular ACLog bt N3FJP and
all will work out fine.