[TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

Toby Pennington w4cakk at centurylink.net
Mon Apr 7 23:27:21 EDT 2014

I have been reading this thread and hearing of the longing of many to
see a rig of the Orion caliber.

I hate to disappoint many,   but this may,  I say may,  never happen!

One primary reason is that in todays market,   the cost of research and
just the overall expenditure of putting a similar Orion 2 product on the
market would cost close to 10,000 bucks.  I may be off a little,  but
not much.

I don't think Ten Tec will attempt this unless market conditions change
drastically.

I believe you are seeing the direction that Ten Tec is headed in with
the release of the Eagle and the Argo 6.   The alternative would be full
SDR AKA Flex which would be far less expensive.

Those of you with Orions need to hang on to them,   as they are probably
worth more now than when you bought them in terms of replacement value.
IF you know of any "bugs" still in firmware, try to get Ten Tec to fix
what may still not be working exactly right.  Try to optimize the radio
and realize what a jewel you have,  and hang on to it for the long haul.

The reason for saying this is that the Orions are now on the back burner
for fixing anything left hanging.  Ten Tec might need a little push to
get going with just a few fixes that are needed.

Just my opinion,  and wish all a Blessed Easter and Passover!

Toby K4NH