[TenTec] USER INTERFACE: Wish List for ORION-III

K8JHR jrichards at k8jhr.com
Thu Apr 10 00:09:51 EDT 2014

Yes... I you seem to misunderstand the setup.

If I understand your terminology, a band map, skimmer, or spotting site
can tell you what other guys are seeing, and doing.  But, it does not
tell you what your radio is receiving.

A panadapter or band spectrum scope is a visual representation of what
your radio is picking up.  It does not contain information about the
station.

Barry wants the best of both worlds!  He would like to overlay the band
map data over his band spectrum scope data, and coordinate the two which
will show him what band map stations can be received at his location at
that time.  This would tie it all up in a package.

N4PY control software has comes sorta kinda close to this capability.
You can run the band scope and see the action, while using his add-in
applet for spotting sites to tune the rig to frequencies where stations
have been reported on the internet.

It would be cool to do as Barry describes.