[TenTec] New technology

Wade Staggs tvman1954 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 09:10:25 EDT 2014

*That is part of my frustration. Am I talking to an operator with a really
good Fist? Or is it a kid somewhere with his IPhone setup to remote through
his Internet Connection to the Radio which is Keying his Rig after
converting his Text Message to CW?  ...   Field Day, lost it's appeal for
me several years ago when the CW Skimmer and Memory Keyer took over the job
of a CW Operator. Press 1 to call CQ Field Day. Type in a Call Sign and
Press 2 to send UR 59 73 OM K ... Press 1 to start over. Where is the Fun
in that? How in the heck did Everybody become a  59 signal all of a sudden?
Some of todays Hams never would have made it in 1974. What ever happened to
the Fun of finding Rare DX Stations? Now you just look at the Internet and
tune to their Frequency. I would bet that if, you took away all of their
Gadgets, some of these High Tech Hams would be lost out there, walking
around with their fingers .... Well, I won't finish that thought. I
actually had a Newly Minted General Class last night, tell me that I was 30
Hz. Low in Frequency. I WAS THE NET CONTROL! 30 Hz. my left elbow! Looked
at my Net Preamble again and sure enough .... it does say on or about 3xxx
KC. which causes more Grief when they ask what the heck Kilocycles is
supposed to be! When that little fellow told me that Net Control was 30 Hz.
Low in Frequency, I could hear old timers all over the State falling out of
their chairs laughing. And then wondering what old crusty Wade, was going
to say in reply!*
*                                                          73 my Friends
from Wade/KJ4WS*