[TenTec] How much for an Orion III?

K8JHR jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sun Apr 13 22:22:58 EDT 2014

On 4/12/2014 9:21 AM, Rsoifer at aol.com wrote:

TT says that they  plan to emphasize  "affordable"
> products, and I'm sure that's a good business decision.   Rather, I'm saying
> that if they do bring out a new "flagship" radio, make it the  best on the
> market, as the KWM-2 and the 565 Orion were when they came  out.

That makes sense.  No matter what the price break,  there is no sense
coming out with second rate goods.  It should be the best $X,xxx.00  rig
on the market.

So, what you mean is ... it must be a Ten-Tec.    ;-)   Right?

                    _______________

Parenthetically... while we are talking about what we want in our next
radio...

I am feeling kinda stud this week. I sold my Brand X radio, so I have a
pile of extra change rattling in my piggy bank.  I have an Omni VII and
Orion II, but having the scratch to do it... I tried desperately to
justify buying another radio...  really I did!  But, when I compared ALL
the specifications and analyzed all the factors that matter to me, I
just could not do it.  And, while I really wanted to buy a new radio,
and many models looked good, I did not find anything that is
substantially BETTER than what I have now.  The only thing missing is a
panadapter, but with N4PY software, and the German FiFi SDR kit I built,
it comes pretty close.  Um... ah... Did I mention how much I want to buy
another radio??   I suppose I could get a Flex,  or a K3, or really blow
a wad on the FTdx5000, but I cannot see where how that would be
substantially BETTER than what I have.   Bottom line:  would I make any
more contacts with another radio?  Would I win the next contest?  or...
Would I lose if I just use my current radios, instead?  Would I have any
more sex appeal?     ;-)    Er... Nope, on all points, especially the
latter!

So I decided I am really well enough off as it is, and I decided my
station is pretty nice already!  I don't have any regrets and am not
jealous  (not that the other guys don't have good radios... just that I
have no reason to feel inadequate or behind.  And that, friends, is
pretty cool.

However... Please don't tell my young bride that I have spare change in
the piggy bank, or else she will get big ideas!     ;-)

So I fired up the OrionII today and easily checked into the TT Owners
Net, quickly cutting through the pileup with my dopey old dipole.  I
enjoyed listening the others check in,  and Norm, WB4YBY, you have
AWESOME AUDIO, as does Jack W4KBI in Fla, and I was PROUD as Heck to be
one of the gang.