[TenTec] How much for an Orion III?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Apr 15 03:14:32 EDT 2014

The story did not stop there.
Eventually they realized that it was a mistake to can hf completely.
Turns out they couldn't do everything with vhf and uhf after all.
So then they had to buy new hf rigs again.

In the meantime that old stuff is no longer compatible with the new
communications modes so it doesn't matter anymore.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of K8JHR
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:10 AM
To: Scott Harwood; Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How much for an Orion III?

Ah... Yes... I suppose this has strayed a scoche a little off topic, but I
enjoy the history, and it sure beats the usual
"My-rig-can-beat-u-your-rig" "Ten vs Brand X"  spitting match !    ;-)

I am confident they destroyed some of that equipment to keep the "enemy"
from getting our "good" stuff during the Cold War, and while it was
wasteful, it did constitute a government funded subsidy to the industry, in
general, and was part of a program to continually update and improve systems
over time, so I suppose some good came of it.  It was already paid for, so
hams had to buy new stuff, further supporting the industry with new sales.

I believe my History Professor told us, back then there was a Federal legal
limit on total military spending to something like 7 percent (I
think) of GNP, so it was not "totally" out of control.

Thus, R&D at Collins and TenTec and other outfits was funded by government
purchasing, from which some benefit has trickled down to us taxpayer
consumer types.

(At least that is my story... and I am ... sttttttt-ickkkk-ing to it.)   ;-)

Happy days!
----------------------------- K8JHR ----------------------

On 4/14/2014 9:37 PM, Scott Harwood wrote:
> Hey guys, what does this have to do with a future OIII and it's cost.  As
a former USAF officer in charge of intelligence security for my unit in good
old south east Asia , who cares?  We're dealing with TenTec issues here.
Just my two cents worth.

> 73
>
> Scott K4VWK

R-390 series receivers sitting out in the weather.  Fortunately the
destruction of those were stopped and all were sold surplus...but that was
the end.  As I understand it everything since then has been shredded....lots
of R-1051 series receivers...not my favorite...but still ashamed.

>> Cecil
>> K5DL
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On Apr 14, 2014, at 4:32 PM, Jim Vohland <n9vo at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure that I understand the story of destroying the equipment
based on having received "classified signals".  There is no way a kwm-2/2a
or s-line could have encrypted or decrypted signals. They were
receivers/transmitters, not cryptographic. In the navy, any classified radio
equipment had manuals which stressed exactly which circuit boards were
classified and requirement destruction in a specific manner. Unclassified
portions of the equipment required no special effort. a vacuum tube doesn't
retain signals. Stories of R390's languishing abound also. Probably due more
to a glut of old equipment. SP600's, R390s, R1051 and even some ten-tec
receivers were used for intercept operations. Many made it to
civilian/unclassified use. No security issues.