[TenTec] Triton IV 540 Questions

Doug Reid n1068d at aol.com
Fri Apr 18 17:51:02 EDT 2014

Hi Wes :

The elastic band has stretched to the point your dial pointer will not go all the way to the left of your dial.  This is very common on those dial cord rigs and is why most of us always turn the PTO dial to the lowest frequency when the radio is not being used.  It prevents stretching the elastic cord.  You might be able to clip an inch or so off the old elastic and continue using it.

The PTO needs rebuilding if it no longer turns freely or if you notice it jumps around a bit in frequency as you tune. Sometimes the bearings and bearing race get worn badly in very old units causing a rough spot and warble in tuning.

Not sure about the resistors ?

Go to Ten Tec website and download the owners manual if you need one.  The mauual contains  a few pics of the circuit boards located inside the rig.

Doug Reid WD4LNW