[TenTec] RX-366?

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Thu Apr 24 12:29:03 EDT 2014

How many Orions & Orion II's have been sold?

Of that number, how many have already had the RX-366 upgrade?

Of those that haven't, how many are likely to have it in the immediate future?  (Say, the next 2 years)

And, how many RX-366's need to be made, in a minimal production run, to justify another one?  Including costs related to storing inventory for a 1 to 2 year period.

Yes, there is a huge installed base, and yes, it is a very attractive upgrade.  (If I owned an Orion, I'd certainly want to upgrade the second receiver, if it hadn't already been done!)

But without knowing the answers to these questions, it's impossible to say that whether or not another production run is warranted.

And that's presuming that the first option I mentioned is the primary one involved.  If it's the second option...

73

On 04/24/14, Barry N1EU wrote:

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw at verizon.net>wrote:

> Consider that the Orion's are no longer in production. So the remaining
> market for the RX-366 may be very small.

I tend to question that Ron. There's a huge installed base of Orions and
Orion2s and the RX366 is an attractive upgrade, especially because the
Orions' bang for the buck is impossible to beat for a hi performance
radio. I guess it depends on what "very small" means.

73, Barry N1EU