[TenTec] RX-366?

Thu Apr 24 21:29:55 EDT 2014

Remember folks, ham radio is a hobby.  Anything we purchase is an expense
and thus is not an investment.  Based on my understanding, investments make
money or they are supposed to do so, expenses are depreciated which means
the value of the item purchased is expected to decrease.  Just ask any
business professor or tax consultant.

So is that $700 spent for the RX-366 and investment or an expense?  Well it
technically is an intangible investment based solely on ones perceived
pleasure with its use.  Does it add $700 to the value of the Orion?  If it
does it is an investment, otherwise it is an expense.

So is that new Mercedes in your garage an expense or an investment?

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kimberly Elmore" <cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net>
To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RX-366?

No worries! I occasionally get to buy myself toys, too! My kids aren't in
college, yet, but this won't make or break their ability to go. Rest assured
that if I thought I had an instrument that would yield enough return that
$700 would make a significant contribution to their college fund, I'd have
put the money there!

Kim N5OP