[TenTec] Big TX Loops

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sun Apr 27 16:53:30 EDT 2014

***"The helically loaded loop gets you the same performance of a magnetic
loop but at reduced size, supposedly.  IOW, the 80M loop that is 6' in
diameter can be 3 or 4' when helically loaded, so it is said.  I'm looking
at a one meter loop for 20-10M, then we'll see."***

You'd best take that with a BIG grain of salt.
BTW, I don't know if there is anyone making (and selling) good quality big
tx loops in the states but check out VE3UK on QRZ.com.  Seems to be a 4'
diameter loop.  Check out the tuning capacitor.

Take "that one" and compare it to the 4' helically loaded loop.  My money is
on "that one" and not the helically loaded.

It is very difficult to compare two different loops and then make a call on
their technology, because the "build quality" plays such a HUGE role in the
antenna's performance.  You must be sure both are built with the same
quality in order to compare technologies.

Of course those are still just peanut league. (hi)
I3VHF makes a MONSTER LOOP that is 13 feet in diameter.  It has 3" aluminum
tubing.
Takes about 4 people to hoist it up.  Now THAT's a BIG TX LOOP!

You have to be careful, though.  The loop must not exceed 1/4 wavelength.
If it does, it begins to pick up the electric component of the signal and
may suddenly become noisier.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)