[TenTec] Omni VI mystery

Jim Allen jim.allen at longhornband.net
Wed Apr 30 19:02:28 EDT 2014

Alas, the 706 is not general coverage.  I have a Funcube Dongle Pro Plus
that is DC to daylight but have no idea how to couple it.

I've never had the impression all these years that these radios were THAT
fragile, except the tubes of course.  They get shipped, go on DX-peditions,
Field Day and similar outings, dragged to swipe meets and all manner of
knocking around without too much mishap.  It's possible of course.

I took the cabinet off yesterday to have a look around, and it looked to be
pretty well put together.  I don't usually let not knowing what I am doing
stop me, and considered having a go at alignment but then, recalling the
attempt some years ago to change the oil on one of my airplanes that took
the A&P three days to get running right again, I laid down for awhile with
cold cloth on my head, then found the box to ship it off to Tentec.

I am certain this malady was present when I shipped it to have some repairs
done back in March, as I had complained of no call backs then.  I blamed it
on the new antenna here not being up to snuff, but if you can work 'em on 5
watts, it isn't the antenna.  I never got the radio on the air while in San
Diego, as I had to take the antennas down right after I bought it.

It should be back in 10 days or so, perfect.  In the meantime I am QRV with
the 706.

I am grateful for all the insight that has been shared the last couple of
days.

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen