[TenTec] Omni VI mystery

Wed Apr 30 19:10:31 EDT 2014

While being one that repairs radios, yes I agree that one can and should
consider doing the repair themselves.  It is a learning process and one that
adds pride to their activities.   And to support that point, Tentec Service
is usually willing to provide suggestions and procedures for most products
and in most cases.

Now with that said, many hams today are "operators" thus having little
actual electronic experience or knowledge as to what goes on in the space
between the knobs on the front and the connectors on the rear.  And many
hams do not have suitable tools and test equipment available to effect many
of these repairs.

If the radio was recently at Tentec for service, then I would strongly
suggest that Paul at Tentec Service be contacted and arrangements to get the
radio to them to resolve the issues.  A botched repair by the user will only
make for unsatisfactory results and a more expensive repair in the end.

The Omni VI with opt 3 is still one of the best performing CW rigs on the
air today.  Very few of the newer and current models will attain the
receiver performance of the Omni VI with opt 3 installed.  In fact the
Tentec QSK system performance is one that many current rigs strive to
attain.

Unless ones objective is to spend a couple of thousand dollars to obtain a
newer and current model radio, I vote for having the Omni VI repaired by
Tentec.

73
Bob, K4TAX