[TenTec] 160 Meter Problem

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Aug 18 13:55:21 EDT 2014

Jim (A), I strongly agree with Jim (B).

I ran an 80m dipole fed with openwire for the better part of 50 years, in at
least 10 different QTHs.
I used it on 80 and 40, and sometimes when I had nothing better, also on the
higher bands.

I spent a lot of money on a 160m symmetric matchbox so that I could match it
on that band, but I could hardly work across town with it.  The dipole was
always around 40 ft.

In several of those years I managed to put up a full size dipole on 160m but
never high enough.
It was, in a word, crap.  Useless for a dx contest.  Worked out to a couple
hundred miles.

Then about 20 years ago I began doing as Jim (B) says, simply connecting
both wires together and feeding through a normal asymmetrical matchbox (like
a T-Network or L-Network).  As counterpoise, I used whatever I happened to
have at each QTH.  Most of the time I also had an openwire fed vertical
dipole, so I simply connected both of its feedline wires together and
connected it to the chassis of the matchbox using its feedline and the
vertical as the counterpoise.  It was a lousy counterpoise but better than
nothing.

On average I would work 30 to 35 countries with this setup, whereas when
trying to run it as a dipole, properly matched with a symmetrical tuner, I
was lucky to manage 10 countries.

And to put that into perspective, when I later built a proper inverted-L for
160, but with just one or two elevated radials, I managed about 50 countries
on that band in contests.  I have never personally had a better antenna than
that at my own QTH.  But I can say how these three antennas compare because
I have tried them all several times at different QTH's.

As Jim (B) says, "everything works" but some things work a lot better than
others.

*** You are wasting your time trying to match it as a dipole! ***

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)