[TenTec] Corsair noise blanker and frequency display

Mon Feb 3 13:30:00 EST 2014

I wonder if this is a display issue or are the oscillators actually changing
frequency and same is being displayed.  I have an older radio, non Tentec,
that when first turned on the display looks more like the lights on a
pinball machine.  The oscillators are moving as well as the display
reference frequency.  It is a real hoot to watch for about the first 30
minutes or so then it finally settles down.

As to noise blankers, historically I've found only a very few really good
noise blankers and at that same time there's a lot of noise blankers.  The
Collins variable blanking bandwidth system seems to always be the best.  The
rest are mostly copies and less effective compromises.  Of recent, the
hardware NB as used in the Eagle is one of the better systems.  One factor
that seems to impact the effectiveness is more related to where the blanking
takes place as related to the AGC system.  And as Rob Sherwood concluded,
the AGC has a notable effect on pulse type noise.

73
Bob, K4TAX