[TenTec] In praise of older technology

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sun Feb 23 02:45:51 EST 2014

Jon,

If I had buddies who got annoyed with me being 20 or 30 Hz off frequency,
I'd look for some new buddies.
Those are probably the same buddies that pray to their SWR bridge.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of k6jek
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:02 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology

I know. As an aficionado of vintage equipment I agree in spirt. But on SSB
it really is delightful to talk with people who are actually on frequency, a
rarity with vintage gear but the norm now with new equipment. People just
sound so much more human when their speech isn't shifted 30 Hz or 20 or even
10.

I have a Corsair (I) and have not considered replacing the PTO with a DDS
unit but might just find a way to get a better read of my actual frequency.
Shouldn't be hard. That way I can talk with my buddies on their Flex Radios
(*), ICOM 7600's and such without annoying them while still enjoying my fine
old stuff.

Jon, K6JEK

* I have all that modern stuff too, an SDR, OMNI VII etc. I just don't like
it much. Heck, I think my favorites are the tube pieces from '50's.

On Feb 22, 2014, at 2:44 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> I remember when digital frequency readouts (the kind using an electronic
counter, not the kind on a R-390) started appearing on ham gear. Most people
(myself included) just had to have it. We never needed it before. There were
easy enough reliable methods to make sure we stayed inside our band (or
sub-band) limits, but for some reason it seemed like a digital display of
our frequency became a necessity.

> DE N6KB
>
> On 2/22/2014 11:14 AM, Mike Bryce wrote:
>> I guess it was a year ago I put in a DDS replacement for the PTO. Rock
solid. Dual VFOs, speed sensitive tuning, all kinds of goodies.