[TenTec] In praise of older technology

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sun Feb 23 03:48:36 EST 2014

On 2/23/2014 2:45 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> Jon,
>
> If I had buddies who got annoyed with me being 20 or 30 Hz off frequency,
> I'd look for some new buddies.

		I don't think he said the other guys complained... just
		that HE was the offending party in the group.

		As a kid, I listened to SW broadcast stations and
		hams on a receiver, and dreamed of owning my own
		station someday.

		I learned early on you can drive yourself batty
		trying to peak the signal - so I subscribe to a more
		pragmatic school...  If I can hear and understand
		the other guy... I take my hand off the tuning knob,
		and concentrate on the conversation.     After all,
		the point of ham radio (to me) is communication.

		I rarely look at the frequency readout, as it is often
		squirrelly, depending on how old the other guy's rig
		is,  or for some other reason.    If I can work him, I
		figure it is close enough.  With a few million radios
		on the air, I guess there will be some deviation to
		reckon with !

Just MY take.

///'