[TenTec] In praise of older technology

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Mon Feb 24 18:40:37 EST 2014

Well said, Bob.

Last summer, on a Brand X discussion forum, we discussed what is the
"best" microphone and what is the best EQ setting.    I suggested that,
because we only use +/- 2700 Hz audio and RF bandwidth - pretty much any
decent microphone costing $15 or more SHOULD be linear across that
narrow spectrum, and I made recordings of several microphones bearing
widely different price tags to prove it.  No one has correctly
identified the $15 Samson RS10  from the $150 Heil PR-20 or even from
the $99 Sennheiser e835, and several others by RadioShack, Shure,  and
the real kicker in the bunch... a $1 computer mic I purchased on eBay.

I dared to suggest audiophiles use EQ to "fix" or compensate for uneven
room acoustics ... but oddly enough audiophiles often employ pre-amps
and power amps lacking any bass or treble or EQ controls at all -
instead they seek uncolored input, and uncolored output, using EQ
sparingly or not at all to compensate for uneven room acoustics.   So,
on that logic,  maybe we should use FLAT EQ on the transmit audio, on
the theory of what goes in uncolored and natural, might come out
uncolored and more natural than if we had messed with it.   After all,
most decent microphones are linear across the 200- 2700 Hz +/- range -
if we want to sound natural, why color it with phoney EQ settings ?

I am sure there is some fallacy lurking in the weeds, but this seems
logical to me.  Garbage in... garbage out...     Natural, simple audio
in... ok you get the picture.

So I keep it simple, I use reasonably good, but not overly expensive
microphones, and avoid excessive EQ  coloration (occasionally I add a
slight boost to the mid range frequencies to be more punchy in a
crowd... but not otherwise.)

Am I missing something?