[TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTecrigs

GARY HUBER glhuber at msn.com
Wed Feb 26 12:12:33 EST 2014

Yes. Your audio is really dependent on good audio in from the microphone.
The TT-705 and 706 have a nice sound. Some of the competition (DX & Contest)
microphones roll off the low end at 700 Hz and do not have any low end while
other microphones do not have much mid-range 1200 - 1800 HZ and are "muddy"
and difficult to understand.  I have found that some of the older (Johnson
Viking) radios with D-104 mics. sound better with the OMNI-VII's RX BW
opened up to 8000 Hz. I participate in a local Sunday morning 160 AM net
using my OMNI-VII and TITAN-425; others are running everything from
ORION-II/FLEX-5000, to Viking & HQ-170, to a Gates AM Broadcast transmitter
and a Collins 51J-4.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M