[TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmitwithTenTecrigs

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Thu Feb 27 16:02:51 EST 2014

Thanks Rick... having just viewed Sherwood's Dayton presentation again,
I was not aware they were in production again.  You are, of course,
quite correct $17,000 or more for a transceiver just ain't worth it.  I
mean, really, will I actually have $14,000 more fun with it?  Will I
really make more DX contacts with it?  What will those few contacts cost
me if I amortize the cost by their number?  Wow... that is a staggering
thought.    ;-)

As for the TS-990... well...  I guess I am not that impressed with IT,
although I know you only mentioned it to make the point about relative
value.

Frankly, I don't believe it does all that much MORE than my current
stable.  Sherwood notes its reciprocal noise thing is equal or worse
than its TS-590-based sub receiver.   After the 990 was released, I
purchased an Orion II, because it seemed (to me) a much better value.

Besides, I would not like my new $8000 transceiver with super high
definition display screen, to LOOK LIKE A 1960s VINTAGE SW Radio SLIDE
RULE DIAL!   Sheesh!   The General Coverage receiver has a screen that
looks like an old Realistic DX-160 or Trio tube set from the 60s -
hardly what I consider the look of a modern digital marvel.  I suppose
they figure it will appeal to the "older set" who may still have a
little money left in their retirement accounts and who are nostalgic for
the "good old days" of analog radios ... but that does NOT appeal to ME
!    Ten-Tec... are you listening... don't do this!  I am not that
nostalgic for an era I did not experience !!     ;-)   (No offense
intended...)

Happy trails.