[TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with TenTec rigs

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Feb 27 18:29:06 EST 2014

Hi Jim,

Please don't include me in that scenario.
You are very welcome to walk in my shadow, and I will gladly walk in yours.
We need every ham we can get or we are going to die out.

IMO, one of the reasons that you don't hear of Ten-Tec radios on
DX-peditions is because Ten-Tec has always refused to sponsor them.
Elecraft has always been a big sponsor of DX-peditions and that's why most
expeditions take them along.

In my club, which launches some of the world's largest DX-peditions, we have
standards for what people can take along on the DX-peditions.  We learned
years ago that if you have too much variety, it causes more confusion than
good.  So we learned to standardize.  That way no operator is confronted
with a rig he doesn't know.  My club made the Kenwood TS-850 its standard
and that lasted for 10 years, with the occasional FT-1000 being accepted.
In recent years (past 5 or 6) they have been replaced by the K3.

Many of our members use Ten-Tec transceivers at home but do not take them on
the expeditions.  Too exotic.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)