[TenTec] Headset Reccomendation

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sat Jan 4 13:52:33 EST 2014

  On 1/4/2014 8:35 AM, steve jobes wrote:

>          I have a set of radiosport headphones that Ilove. V

Yep... headphones like those those are typically used in aviation and
auto racing because they employ very dense padding and  thick plastic
earphone receiver cup for serious sound attenuation.    The beauty of
the radiosport and KOSS and similar aviation sets is the addition of
passive noise attenuation - you have not LIVED unless you have tried
that - I simply cannot hear the sound of cooling fans, or the XYL, or
anything once those are on.

However, I the radiosport model appears to cost $209 for the headset,
and another $90 for a TT compatible cable...  ouch!   That is if he
charges separately for the cable... still it seems a bit steep against
the competition.  YOU DO however, have the advantage that he says it
will work with your transceiver.   But a $90 cable is just plain
excessive in my opinion.   Shure, AudioTechnica, BeyerDynamic,
Sennheiser, AKG all make expensive broadcast and aviation sets, and they
don't charge that much for cables!

Now, if you just wanted a super headphone, with that 30 dB passive noise
attenuation, you could find a pair of KOSS Quiet Zone  QZ-99  which AES
sells for $59 - those are super rugged - as rugged as the aviation sets
and with as much or more passive noise attenuation and they also sound
good - you can get them for even less on eBay from many vendors,
probably as low as $40 -45 from some reputable vendors.

If you want a full headset, you can buy similar and equivalent cans from
various pilot and aviation vendors, and can easily cut the cost to
around $$100-120, but you might have to install your own foster
connector.   Wiring an 8 pin foster connector is not too hard... the
part cost is around $5.   HEIL makes one that is a bit bigger and easier
to solder and is very well made and machined.  Two for $7 typically.

The KOSS x3000 headset I mentioned is a mere $42 delivered, but you must
add you own connector as it comes with a commercial type Kenwood
connector.  I have two of these now... probably the best buy in a
headset I have ever seen - I like them better than the fabled Yamaha
CM500 - much better commercial grade build, commercial grade microphone,
and 30 dB passive noise attenuation - but like the aviation sets, they
are a bit heavier than most other headsets - the attenuation provides a
weight-mass tradeoff.

If I was going to spend $250 on a headset, I would buy the AudioTechnica
BPHS-2,  or the Sennheiser HMD-280,  or the new Shure Shure BRH440M,
Shure SM-2,  Superluxe MHD-660, which all have superior dynamic
microphones that match really well to the radios.  If I spent less, I
would easily buy a lesser expensive pilot headset from any number of
eBay vendors that sell similar headsets for around $100, or I would buy
one with a brand called  "ASA"  or  "Pilot"  and maybe "Avcomm" from one
of these guys, or one of several others you find and prefer.   I would
suggest a dynamic mic element, but the electret models should work fine,
but some of the aviation mic elements claim to be "amplified" and
require between 9 and 28 volts - my Omni VII and Orion II supply 10v on
pin 2...  you be the judge.

http://www.austinflightcheck.com/

or

http://www.Pilotshop.com

or

http://pilot-usa.com/

Just MY take...  your mileage may differ....