[TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jan 17 16:43:30 EST 2014

On 1/17/2014 11:33 AM, Richards wrote:
> ER... can we say the same of linear power supplies?
>     Are they as inherently noisy as switch mode supplies?
>     Do linear supplies require all that filtering and
>     modern science to clean up?

Not at all. The root cause of noise in switching power supplies is that
they are square wave generators. Linear power supplies simply rectify
and filter the 60 Hz power source.

> THERE IS A FALLACY LURKING IN THE WEEDS:

No, there is a gap in your knowledge of fundamental electricity and
electronics.

>     The gist of the argument is that you can mask,
>     hide, smother or otherwise suppress the inherent
>     noise produced by a a switching power supply.
>     Essentially, the claim is we can render the
>     cancer benign through surgery.

No, we simply follow good engineeering practice when designing and
manufacturing the product in question.

>     But what if a linear supply is inherently quiet
>     and does not make noise in the first place, then
>     is there no cancer to hide, mask, smother or
>     render benign.

Enough with dumb analogies.  Go to the ARRL Handbook and study the
fundamentals.

73, Jim K9YC