[TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies

Don Jones ko7i at comcast.net
Sun Jan 19 16:44:57 EST 2014

My Ten Tec 961 Linear Pass Pwr Supply failed CISPR 22 Conducted RF
Emissions -- BAD

In Feb 2013 I hosted a open house of my company's EMC test lab. I
invited local amateur radio clubs to come have a look see.

One of the demo's I set up was a CISPR 22 Conducted RF Emissions demo in
our FCC listed full scan height EMC chamber (A2LA accredited). The
equipment used for the demo was a typical ham radio HF station
consisting of a Lenovo Lap top pc, and a Ten Tec Omni VI with a Ten Tec
961 linear pass power supply.

The Lenovo PC (powered by a switching power supply) passed conducted RF
emissions with flying colors, the TT power supply failed miserably which
I found quit surprising. Hideous broadband noise exceeding the limit by
20 dB was measured. The excessive emissions rolled off at about 600kHz
and was below the CISPR 22 limit the rest of the way up to 30MHz. The
interesting thing was that these emissions were present with the
transceiver in receive mode and only 6 db worse transmitting a 45W CW
carrier @ 14MHz.

So much for assuming Linear Pass Power Supply's are clean... Just sayin'

73, Don KO7i