[TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies

Al Gulseth wb5jnc at centurytel.net
Sat Jan 18 21:36:49 EST 2014

Speaking of "switchers" - I've been looking around for a small 3-4A PS
suitable for use with QRP/QRPish rigs (TT examples: Argonauts, 1220, 13xx,
etc.) and would like something a little more portable than the surplus
Power-Mate linear supply I have now. Has anyone had any experience with the
MFJ, Samlex, RS etc. of this ilk and/or any of the open frame stuff the
surplus outfits sell? (I know quality and RFI output can vary widely with
these: what I'm thinking might be the best possibility would be a good name
brand - Condor comes to mind, especially their medical grade products.)

If it's an open frame type, I'd assume a suitable enclosure and a Corcom-type
line filter as well as some additional output filtering would be in order.
Also, would a 12V or a 15V be a better starting point to readjust to 13.6-8?

Or, even though it's a little bigger would I be better off just going for an
Astron SS-10 or 12 since they seem to get pretty good reviews regarding RFI
along with the added benefit of having enough "oomph" for an Argosy or Scout?
Comments/suggestions?

TNX/73, Al