[TenTec] Paragon problem

Vic Klein vhklein at ptd.net
Mon Jul 14 07:44:07 EDT 2014

Good points, Wade. I have used my Paragon to call the ECARS net 3 times a
week for years and always get nice reports and I am able to pull stations in
that others have trouble hearing. I love this radio, both from an operating
point of view and the fact that it is one of the prettiest, if not the
prettiest radios ever made! I have ordered a new Omni to take advantage of
the summer sale, but I really want to get the Paragon working.

My testing on this self-inflicted wound suggests there is nothing happening
at the Low-pass board. Thanks to help from Garry at Ten Tec, just using the
2nd receive antenna bypasses that board altogether, so if nothing changes it
can pretty much be eliminated from the mix. The loss in sensitivty is across
all bands, and might be more severe at higher frequencies, but with band
conditions lately it is hard to be sure...I don't have a calibrated signal
source. Checking the 1st mixer, I think diodes and maybe transistors
associated with the AGC circuit may be affected, so thatis where I am
looking now.

=Vic=
WA4THR