[TenTec] Scout has vy low Pwr out on some bands

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Jul 17 10:20:48 EDT 2014

There are two more bands that still don't work and all modules were
unplugged for about 10 years, laying, gathering dust.  They definitely all
need cleaning.
This has nothing to do with being abscessed, and everything to do with
avoiding near future problems.

I will do it with the two chemicals that I have because I have good
experience with them.
I will first try the toothpick.

As for writing my will on sandpaper; good idea.
At least my daughter would have one thing useful in her inheritance!  ;-)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of K8JHR
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:48 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scout has vy low Pwr out on some bands

Eek... I would be careful with metal cleaners.  As I recall, Tarn-X and the
like often leave a film, and residue, etc., that is hard to get out of
cracks, crevices, and other small areas, despite it claiming to be
apply-and-rinse easy to use..    It is made with Thiourea and Salfamic
Acid, a rather caustic aqueous acid product.  While it might remove some
oxidation, it could also damage the other materials inside the device, such
as plastics, insulating phenolic wafers and similar materials.

The Tar-x Product Data Sheet says:

	Restrictions on Use:
	Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, acids,
	bases, and bleach. Do not use on stainless steel,
	chrome, pewter, aluminum, brass, zinc, marble,
	pearls, opals, and other porous stones.

Rick -- You are obsessing over this.  Why not stop now, when you can,
and it still works.   I really believe in the adage:  "If you fix
something long enough, eventually you will break it."   Anyone who has
stripped a screw over-tightening it knows this is true.  If the Scout
cartridge works full power out, why not just stop there and call it good.
Clean what you can easily reach, and stop, or you may reap the
balance of the adage, and eventually break it.   If it is working...
close it up and call CQ on it.

As for the bond paper... even though you have a 'lot of GRIT", I doubt
you would write your Will on sand paper...    ;-)

Just MY take.