[TenTec] Rigs at WRTC

K8JHR jrichards at k8jhr.com
Fri Jul 25 16:40:25 EDT 2014

On 7/25/2014 9:45 AM, Carl Moreschi wrote:

> 1) The older Flex 5000 and 3000 suffer from what Rob calls the "Field
> day problem".  This is when very strong signals from very close stations
> cause the front end to collapse.

Maybe the Eagle is too noisy for a crowded contest or Field day setting.
  I am still trying to sort this one out.

In a previous thread someone was weighing the choice between getting the
Kenwood TS-590s or the TT Eagle.  Somebody said the 590 is a poor choice
because it has an unduly noisy transmitter and does not play well with
others in a crowded contest or Field Day shack.

OF COURSE, THIS IS A VALID CRITICISM ONLY IF THAT TRAIT IS UNIQUE TO THE
590 and not also suffered by the Eagle.

I suggested the whole argument statistically insignificant, based on
fewer than 10 out of maybe 15,000 units in service.  To support the
claim, Rick submitted a couple of slides from one of Rob Sherwood's
famous presentations - which show the Eagle produces more transmit IMD
than the 590.  You can see those two slides here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/minirichards/14602437252/

Someone suggested Rob Sherwood could prove it, so I asked him about it,
and he clearly said he has NO OTHER DATA concerning broadband noise
concerning these two radios.  He said the slides Rick mentioned show
transmitter IMD, only, and said this different from broadband
transmitter noise.   I understand K4TAX actually measured a pair of
590s, but two out of maybe fifteen thousand units is hardly
statistically significant and falls short of proving all 590s are
problematic.  I recall something to the effect that the Eagle is noisier
in some ways, and the 590 is noisier in other ways.

As the charge is not unique to the 590, it hardly constitutes a basis
for choosing one rig over another, and (while I hate to knock any team I
am on)  the evidence is either inconclusive as to either rig, or tends
to support the claim the Eagle is the noisier of the two.  No one has
brought forth any other data.

This is why I hesitate to buy an Eagle, even on sale, and one of the
reasons I sold my TS-590.  But, seeing a couple of 590s used by high
ranking contestants sorta makes me sorry I did that.  Rick kept telling
me the 590 causes problems in a contest shack, so I sold it.  But if the
Eagle is no better, then perhaps I don't want it, either.