[TenTec] Rigs at WRTC

Fri Jul 25 17:59:50 EDT 2014

One point on radio selection that I suggest trying.  From a generally
accepted contest radio selection, based on the Sherwood Receiver test data,
I encourage anyone to import the current chart into EXCEL.  Then sort by
brand and model and then by any other factor or factors you wish.  Then what
radio brand or model comes out to be #1.  You'll be surprised.

One other observation on the WRTC radios.  The top three teams radios each
represents a certain percentage of the entire radio choices.  Of note, some
63% of the radios were the K-3 model.  Yet only 16.6% of those ended up
being used by the top three teams.  Something sure seems out of balance.

Yes, I agree, many factors impact ones choice of equipment for the event.
As one pointed out, two of the K-3's in soft side cases are very light
weight to transport.  What figure of merit should apply here on this point?
And familiarity of a radio is another factor of merit although a bit
difficult to measure.  There are many more factors that go into choices of
radios not to mention price being one.  Obviously some of the radios used
were much more expensive than others.  Then there were a couple that placed
very high that are older and discontinued models yet they still managed to
present a really decent performance.  This says to me then there is
something else in the winning equation besides  the latest radio technology.

Certainly appears to me the factors of radio choice, logging software choice
and familiarity of same and operator skills with the radio and software must
be balanced to be successful.  Move one out or away and the vector result
will be downward.

73
Bob, K4TAX