[TenTec] Corsair II noise blanker

K8JHR jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sat Mar 29 00:22:06 EDT 2014

Ken and Bob -

Man... thanks - exactly the sort of explanation I wish they would put in
user manuals for guys like me who are not radio engineers.

Sidebar --

There is an on-going debate on a Brand X radio forum, whether one NB
(and/or NR) circuit is better than another.  The answer seems to be:
"it depends" on the type of noise, and how it interacts with the desired
signal.

My Take --

Satisfaction with NR and NB is entirely dependent on one's expectations,
generally, and one's tolerance of the necessary tradeoff between
intelligibility and audio quality.   I am a fan of both internal and
outboard DSP noise filters, but I know greater intelligibility comes
with a price in lower audio quality.

On the Brand X forum, some operators expect clean, pure, audiophile
results after scrubbing and scouring with NR, NB, and related tools.
Unfortunately, there just ain't no free lunches these days.

Wish List Item --

I like the NR on my Omni VII, although I preferred how it worked in
earlier firmware.  (I am less enamored with the NR on my Orion II.)

Too bad we cannot select feature updates from a smorgasbord of firmware
versions, sort of a mix-n-match thing.  Now, THAT would be cool.   (I
can, however, just imagine the programming nightmare THAT might entail!
  We would be visiting John Henry in the looney bin sooner than later!)
     ;-)

Just My take.

;/