[TenTec] Corsair II noise blanker

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sat Mar 29 17:18:51 EDT 2014

Yes Noise Blankers and Noise Reduction devices are quite different. I'm
not sure exactly how Noise Reduction systems work, but I'm pretty sure
they not not completely blank the whole signal.

Noise Blankers do not attempt to modify the signal you finally detect,
they just plain interrupt it for short enough periods that you don't
miss what was in the gaps it creates (very much). The idea being that
there is a noise pulse there obliterating any signal you wanted to hear,
so shut it all out for that short period. So you want the blanking to
happen just at the right time, and just for the right duration, to
remove the noise and have the minimum affect on the rest of the signal.

If the noise blanker does not have timing adjustments (either automatic
or manual) then it is a "best compromise." It may work well on some
noise and not so well on others. You might be able to make the noise
blanker on one radio work more like the one on another radio by
adjusting resistor and capacitor values to make it have the same time
constants as the one you like best.

DE N6KB