[TenTec] (no subject)

K8JHR jrichards at k8jhr.com
Wed May 7 15:14:51 EDT 2014

'cause I think it would sell radios.  Remember it does not have
to be logical or make sense... just sell stuff.  Yaesu and Kenwood out
that on their big rigs ... there must be a reason!

Personally, I would take a 40 watt tube (guitar) amp over an 80 watt
solid state (guitar) amp... any day... louder, fuller, more robust,
phatter tone, better distortion, etc., but many guys see only the power
rating and spring for the cheaper, solid state product.

Back in the 1970s the FTC had a rule that said vendors had to specify
amp power in watts RMS and had a formula for measuring it.  It sorta
almost forced everyone to rate their amps in the same way, almost, so
claims of 100 watts "music power" and other silly names got boiled down
to about 5 watts RMS.  Nowadays it appears they have repealed or relaxed
the rules, and we are back to vendors claiming all sorts of unbelievable
power ratings.  People buy what has more power.  My Sansui stuff is
rated at 15 or 45 watts RMS and blows higher spec-ed new gear away.  But
guys want BIG POWER, so why not give it to them?

Why do Yaesu and Kenwood do that on their big rigs?   Again... NOT
because we NEED it,... but because a lot of guys WANT it.  It is a
marketing thing, a question of what sells.