[TenTec] (no subject)

Wed May 7 15:22:48 EDT 2014

All of this adds up to, as kids, "who's got the fastest car?"   After all,
the speed limit in town was 30MPH and the local law enforcement knew that
very well.  With radios and many features, I describe as whistles and bells,
it's mostly no more than bragging rights.

Now it seems the latest bragging rights are, "my radio has got more knobs
and buttons than yours".  Well for a TS-990S owner that's true with it
having some 23 knobs and 130 buttons on the front panel.

Yes, everyone's operating styles and needs are different and thus the pros
and cons of this one and that one does exist.  Regardless of what it has or
does or doesn't have or doesn't do, if it doesn't have a good to great
receiver and equally good audio,  from my take it becomes an expensive paper
weight on the desk.

I agree that many to most peripherals were designed for the 100 watt class
of radio.  I fear with the 200 watt radios hitting the market and the ham
population propensity to continue using older amps, there's likely to be a
lot of over driven amps and subsequent splatter on the bands.

If I find that I need more than 100 watts to continue or complete a contact,
it won't be with a measly 200 watts, it will be more like 1200 to 1500 watts
which does make a difference.

Yet it seems today that "bragging rights largely prevail" in most all areas.

73
Bob, K4TAX