[TenTec] Jupiter Questions

Phil Coley dxingman at bellsouth.net
Sun May 18 23:27:16 EDT 2014

After selling almost all my ham gear in our downsizing move to a smaller house, I'm looking at getting
a small transceiver for casual use. I have been looking at the Kenwood TS570D(SG) and the Ten Tec
Jupiter as possible units.

I would like any input on the Ten Tec Jupiter. I know there were several versions (grey w/green screen;
black w/blue screen) and I have read the product reviews in the ham magazines on the unit when it
was released. But I don't know if there were any differences between the two versions produced or if
if was strictly "cosmetic"?

I have read the earlier Jupiter had an "unusual" keying note? Not sure what that means but I operate CW
mostly so this is of concern to me. I realize the Jupiter does not have the dynamics of Omni VII, but would
like any info on how it performs (overloading) from strong nearby signals. And any opinions on the quality
of the selectivity, quality of audio, noise blanker/noise reduction features, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.

73, Phil-K4MPE