[TenTec] tenTec merger, etc.

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Thu May 22 02:28:07 EDT 2014

On 5/22/2014 7:28 AM, TTMaven wrote:
> Your comments fit with my take... after attending the Homeland
> Security Forum at Dayton last week.  The government workers are
> getting ham licenses.  They think that gives them training as radio
> operators.  It appears they will be in charge, and we must work for
> them.  Not that is all bad, but we will not be in charge. The image of
> the ham operator showing up to save the day is long gone already.
> Hams "might" be used as auxiliary operators, when there are not enough
> trained government guys, and hams will be working for the govt boys -
> not the other way around.

The original idea behind ham radio was to create a pool of trained radio
operators in case of rapid need, e.g. war. It was not for fun, it was
not as a hobby, and it was not intended to create a group of technology
experimenters that it became later.

That is why called the Amateur Radio Service.

In other countries it is a sport (e.g. the Soviet Union), or an almost
ignored hobby, e.g. Israel. My SWAG is that here in Israel, there are
as many people with old Motorola and new Baofeng radios illegally using
them on PMR446 (the EU equivalent to FRS), and the "American"
frequencies (FRS and GMRS) as active hams on UHF and almost as many as
on VHF. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ