[TenTec] tenTec merger, etc.

Paul Gentry phgentry at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:09:59 EDT 2014

I disagree with the history you present below.  It was not as I have read
"...for fun, it was not as a hobby, and it was not intended to create a
group of technology experimenters that it became later."  It was
experimentation and research at the beginning.  The technology
experimenters is what it started with, became, and still is.  It was
arguably for fun (enjoyment) because people passionate do what they love
for fun, enjoy it, and can do nothing else.  Sometimes it turns into a
job.  Benefit was seen to allow experimenters who had a passion for the
physics of radio to learn by doing along with some regulation- the
license.  No one at the turn of the 20th century envisioned an army of
radio operators ready to serve the country.  Amateur Radio Emergency
Service is arguably what you point out but it came much later...

Just my take and obviously has little to do with TT radios.

Paul K4BWG