[TenTec] The Next Flagship

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu May 22 11:56:30 EDT 2014

On 5/22/2014 6:26 AM, John Rippey wrote:
> My problem with no "Flagship" rig offering by Ten-Tec revolves around
> the fact that it must be very hard (perhaps impossible) to produce in
> the U.S. a transceiver selling for under $2K and still make a profit.

The price of a minimally configured K3 is currently $2200 if bought as a
kit. and its quality and performance are in a league with the $10K
"flagship" products. It is designed and manufactured in the US. The
price of an Eagle is $1819. Both prices from the companies individual
websites. Note also that both companies sell direct, which avoids the
extra cost to consumers of dealer markup.

Ten Tec may or may not be profitable, but Elecraft is, and they are
because the guys who own and manage the company really understand their
customers. It CAN be done. And don't tell me "but that's a kit, and it
doesn't count." Any able bodied ham (reasonable eyesight and hand/eye
coordination) can build it in a long day.

73, Jim K9YC