[TenTec] Ten Tec custom enclosures comment...

John Rippey w3uls73 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 11:42:34 EDT 2014

FWIW, I would note that Bob's example of a manufacturer's demolishing
a building every ten years and moving on is driven by federal tax
policy. That is true of so much of everyday business. This ain't
business, per se.

Also, I believe Icom's management, unlike Kenwood and Yaesu, is
committed to keeping all Icom operations located in Japan, including,
of course, manufacturing. What this turns out to mean is that Icom's
efforts are focused not only on engineering, but on manufacturing
efficiency, meaning automation and QC. So the number of assemblers
either remains constant or diminishes over time.

Finally, as in Bob's example of how to do business with Chinese
businesses, I've often wondered why Ten-Tec didn't outsource
manufacture of its transceivers, etc. Yes, price is a big component of
most hams' decisions. Does Elecraft do any outsourcing overseas?

Anyhow, the times they are a changin'

73,

John, W3ULS.