[TenTec] New Radios in the Future

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Nov 3 04:59:33 EST 2014

GM Barry,

You're right; I did not understand. (sri)
Thought you meant the screen.

In the meantime I have concluded (with Carl's help) that I need two screens
in my ham shack, one for the contest software (which is a must anyway these
days) and another for radio control - unless I have a radio with lots of
knobs.

The Eagle and K3 (single RX) are about the only contest radios I know of
that can perform anywhere near the performance of a Flex 6300.  Well maybe
an ANAN.

So it seems to me a great contest radio on a shoestring budget is going to
be an SDR, like it or not.
The good radios with knobs just cost too much.

I shall start saving my pennies towards a 6300, hoping the price comes down
as technology advances.

In the meantime I may get a Tmate2 and a used 1500 just to get my feet wet
with this technology.
I know the 1500 is not particularly good but it's good enough to practice
using in some unimportant contest.

If it turns out I can't cope with this new operating method, I can cut my
losses, sell it, and join the group of old farts that James goes to lunch
with!  ;-)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)